What is ORBERA™?
The ORBERA™ Intragastric Balloon is a soft yet durable silicone balloon that assists adults with obesity in losing and maintaining weight. It is intended for adult patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 40 who have attempted more conservative weight reduction alternatives.
How does it work?
The saline-filled ORBERA balloon is placed in the patient’s stomach non-surgically to reinforce proper portion control. With the balloon in place, patients have the feeling of fullness and therefore consume smaller portions of food. Each patient is enrolled in a comprehensive diet, exercise and nutritional program to assist with weight loss and to ensure long-term results. After six months, the balloon is removed.
How is the procedure done?
A board-certified gastroenterologist places the thin, deflated balloon in place in the stomach via the esophagus while the patient is under a mild sedative. It is then filled with saline to about the size of a grapefruit. This non-surgical out-patient procedure takes about 20-30 minutes. After six months, the balloon is removed the same way it was placed.
How much weight can I lose with ORBERA?
The average person loses 3x more weight with ORBERA than with exercise and diet alone. In the U.S. clinical study, patients lost an average of 21.8 lbs. Motivated patients may lose far more than this, particularly as they watch the pounds come off quickly after balloon placement. The amount of weight you lose and maintain will depend on how closely you adhere to your diet and adopt long-term healthy lifestyle habits.
How do I maintain my weight long-term?
The balloon is a tool to aid weight loss and must be used in conjunction with diet, exercise and a behavior modification program. To support the transition to a healthy weight management mindset, a 12-month coaching program begins when the balloon is placed. The program includes one-on-one sessions with a registered dietician, group sessions, recipes for healthy eating, and more.
Who should consider ORBERA?
ORBERA is suitable for moderately overweight individuals who want to break through weight loss barriers without surgery. ORBERA may be right for you if:
- You’ve tried diets, exercise or both without long-term success
- You’d like to kickstart a long-term weight loss program and get back to healthy habits
- You need to lose those initial 20, 30 or 40 lbs that are holding you back
- You need to shed the remaining pounds from pregnancy
The first step is to talk to one of our trained weight loss doctors who can advise you based on your particular health and weight loss goals.
ORBERA FACTS & FIGURES
- In the U.S. clinical trial, the average ORBERA patient lost 3.1 times the weight within six months, compared to diet and exercise alone.
- ORBERA is an FDA-approved weight loss solution that focuses on developing sustainable, healthy habits that will help you keep the weight off over time.
- With more than 220,000 procedures performed in over 80 countries, ORBERA is a safe, effective, proven weight loss solution.